101 club

101 Forward Control Club and Register Forums
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:13 am 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 2263
Member until: Expired

morph - Please click here to renew your club membership!
on removing the front bumper/crossmember discovered she has only 1 backing plate insitu, thought it best to have both done so if any has one about the place PM me. thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:27 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 2383

spongie - Please click here to renew your club membership!
any chance you can remind me what they look like? may have one spare.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:43 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 2263

morph - Please click here to renew your club membership!
rectangle with 2 holes. steel plate - will look rusty. i would make one but dont have any plate to hand.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:39 pm 
101-derful!

Mem No: 1748
Member until: Aug 2020
Can anyone tell me exactly where the spacer fits for the front lifting eyes?
Does it go directly under the lifting eye or does it go between the front panel and the bumper therefore creating a small gap between the front panel and bumper?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:00 pm 
Club Chair

Mem No: 1893
Just looked at mine again with a torch & it appears the angled bracket fits up to the bumper underside. There is then a gap & the floor pan & then the lifting eye so can only assume that the spacer goes on top of the bumper & below the floor pan. That is looking from inside the wheel arch at the rear of the bumper.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:20 pm 
101-derful!

Thanks for that Pete, that is how I placed mine but it doesn't look right as there is the gap.
John informed me that he has no gap as the spacer is directly under the eye!
Anyone else with a view please?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:13 pm 
Club Chair

After looking at it further it can only go between the bumper & floor plate as the correct position. John is incorrect. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:52 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 2270
On my one, Drivers side plate is directly under the eye, above the floor. (passenger side has been subject to front panel repair work.)

Evidence from the untouched side is plate is above floor, and directly under the eye. Neither side has room for plate between floor and Bumper.

The parts book shows the plate 1/3 distance below eye and 2/3 distance above bracket. To me this suggests that draftsman has in his mind put the floor (un-drawn) 1/3 up from the bracket, giving three equal spaces. 1/3 up to floor, 1/3 up to plate, 1/3 up to Eye. The plate is drawn nearer to the part it touches and further from the part where another item will be inserted. This would be normal drafting practice.

ptsteer wrote:
Just looked at mine again with a torch & it appears the angled bracket fits up to the bumper underside. There is then a gap & the floor pan & then the lifting eye so can only assume that the spacer goes on top of the bumper & below the floor pan. That is looking from inside the wheel arch at the rear of the bumper.

The gap between the top of the bumper and the floor plate will be caused by the return on the lower edge of the front panel. The front panel sits directly onto the bumper, and the floor sits directly on the lip of the front panel.

When the plate is above the floor, under the eye, it serves no purpose whatsoever. My guess that it is a part from the way the Prototype cab front assembled, that should not be part of the later cab. I suggest it is a part that was not deleted when it should have been, and those building the vehicles could not see where it went or what it did. So sometimes it went below the floor, other fitters put it above the floor, and some just quietly lost it in the scrap bin realising it served no function whatsoever.

Mine has only one, so whoever assembled the nearside threw it away, whoever assembled the offside thought it should go under the eye..... If I had been building 101's I would have thrown it away since it serves no purpose whatsoever and it being missing causes no problems.

Last edited by antarmike on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:23 pm 
Club Chair

I was working on there being a fold at the bottom of the front panel. If the spacer was below the floor plate then there would be no deflection down to fill this gap. If the spacer was above then the floor plate would be bent down to fill the gap left by the fold.

With the front panel tight onto the bumper it would also make it hard to remove the bumper.

The manual says remove the helicopter lift point during cab removal but makes no reference to shim & with it being below the floor plate would remain in place.

I say therefore its below the floor plate.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:41 pm 
101 Addict!

This post has been outdated by a later post, but I am leaving it in to maintain the flow, even though some of what it contains is not true......

ptsteer wrote:
I was working on there being a fold at the bottom of the front panel. If the spacer was below the floor plate then there would be no deflection down to fill this gap. If the spacer was above then the floor plate would be bent down to fill the gap left by the fold.

With the front panel tight onto the bumper it would also make it hard to remove the bumper.

The manual says remove the helicopter lift point during cab removal but makes no reference to shim & with it being below the floor plate would remain in place.

I say therefore its below the floor plate.

No, it can't be like that because the eye bolts pass partially through the front panel lip, the eye itself is only millimeters back from the upright panel. The lip turns back under the front edge of the eye and ends roughly half way back under the eye, so that the hole for the bolt falls half on the back edge of the lip.

Putting a spacer in here would mean the spacer itself was half on the lip, half off it. (and rocking) That cannot be intended. The bolt holes must be half into the lip, and half behind it, I can't check exact position, but certainly the plate would lie onto the lip, not behind it.

If the eye was set back about 20 -25 mm further than it is, then the eye would be totally behind panel lip, and a spacer might make sense, but only if it were the same thickness as the panel My plate is far thicker than the material forming the front panel, (and surely just making the lower lip long enough at that point to extend fully back under the eye to support it, would save a part that has to be punched out and fitted)

The shim is probably not mentioned when removing the cab because it is not meant to be there, and was not there on the vehicle whoever wrote that part of the manual was looking at ;)

Last edited by antarmike on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:07 pm 
Club Chair

I will not be taking mine apart to prove it either way!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:27 pm 
101 Addict!

Correction, the return lip on the front panel comes back half way under the eye (about 20 mm return) on the side of my cab that has been repaired.

On the untouched side of the cab the return is much longer, I measure it to be 45 mm, and it therefore extends back to within a couple of Millimetres of the back edge of the eye. The eye is more or less fully supported by the lip, There is no need for a spacer to stop the floor crushing down.

You have working upwards the bumper, the return on the front panel (45 mm back) then the floor, and eye on top of it, the back edge being about 48 behind the front panel. The return IS causing the gap you see between bumper and floor.

There is no room for plate between bumper and lip, nor between lip and floor. The two choices for where the plate goes are either above the floor( i.e. under the eye) or in the bin.

(Nite Nite, no going back into the barn again tonight.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:55 am 
Club Chair

There you go Harry, the gap I am seeing between bumper & floor plate is because the front panel fold extends back under the fixing bolts & not because the spacer is used. This should be clear to you when you have the floor plates out. The front panel fits up against the bumper so no gap spacer size is visible from the front. Thanks for clearing that up Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:34 am 
101-derful!

My thanks to both of you,
I will remove the spacer and store it away, it may be useful somewhere else on the farm.
My 101 did have a large gap which didn't look right and I remember pondering over where to put the said spacers so I put them between the panel and bumper. The problem has only come to light when I tried to fit the wheel arches and they wouldn't line up at the front, ok I could fettle and make them fit but I want to rebuild it correctly as Land Rover intended.

I will have to add/ remove some spacers from under the cab to make it all line up correctly, then I will report back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:34 pm 
101-derful!

See below. Couple of pictures of the lifting eye spacer between the front panel and the bumper on my 101.

Attachments:
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1441402488.370018.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1441402488.370018.jpg [ 34.6 KiB | Viewed 19844 times ]
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1441402471.586923.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1441402471.586923.jpg [ 18.38 KiB | Viewed 19844 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:20 pm 
Club Chair

The spacer makes it look wrong, so obviously Mike was right. Looked at mine again today & there is a gap between the front panel & bumper as viewed from the front but not where the helicopter eye fitted so shows I have no spacers fitted,

Looks as if we have sorted that issue out now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:43 am 
101 Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:37 pm 
101-derful!

Spacers now removed, it looks much better with no gap!

Other spacers were removed around the cab frame to keep the cab aligned.

Attachments:
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1441543059.573386.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1441543059.573386.jpg [ 17.14 KiB | Viewed 19793 times ]