It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: v8 clutch question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:33 am 

110perkins is not a club member.

Click here to join the 101 club

Or click here if you are already a member
Hello All,

Im a guest here and unfortunatley cannot afford a 101 yet! but was hoping you could help as i figured you folks would be the top knowledge on v8 and LT95 info

Ive got a land rover 110 hi-cap with a Perkins 4.236 that I've just removed to give a quick rebuild, It has the perkins flywheel fitted tapped to take a v8 clutch and coupled to a LT95 4-speed box.

I need to check if a standard v8 flywheel is stepped as my perkins one is but i don't know if that is as it should be or if the previous owners done a lazy conversion and just left the step in.

By stepped i mean that on the face of the flywheel the outer part where the clutch cover bolts to is slightly raised and higher than where the friction plate goes, so it is deeper where the friction plate sits, if that makes sense!

The perkins flywheel has been tapped for a v8 clutch

So i just need to know if a v8 flywheel is smooth faced or stepped so i can skim mine accordingly

Thanks in advance for your time, any help much appreciated

Daz

Post subject: Re: v8 clutch question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:30 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 1794
Member until: Aug 2018
I think all the V8 flywheels are plain faced ...

AndyG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:57 pm 
101 Addict!

DasLandRoverMan is not a club member.

Click here to join the 101 club

Or click here if you are already a member
The 4.236 conversion utilises a flywheel that's unique to the installation.
It's a funny shape compared to the standard 4.236 one, it needs to be sufficiently heavy to suit the engine, whilst also fitting inside the adapter plate and the Bellhousing in the same fashion as the V8 one would in the original installation.

In short, it worked with the standard V8 clutch bolted up as was, there's no reason it won't work when it all goes back together again.

As an aside, the 4.236 adapter kit also allows a 6.354 along with both 4 and 6 cylinder Phaser engines to be fitted onto a V8 Land Rover box.
Worth checking the intermediate shaft thrust washers and bearings in the transfer box whilst it's all apart too.

I make bulkheads. Facebook.com/westlakesawd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:11 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 324
Member until: Aug 2018
DasLandRoverMan wrote:
The 4.236 conversion utilises a flywheel that's unique to the installation.
It's a funny shape compared to the standard 4.236 one, it needs to be sufficiently heavy to suit the engine, whilst also fitting inside the adapter plate and the Bellhousing in the same fashion as the V8 one would in the original installation.

In short, if it worked with the standard V8 clutch bolted up as was, there's no reason it won't work when it all goes back together again.

Yes, I seem to remember when I last had mine apart (some 18 years ago) that the face was not perfectly flat. It was, as I recall, extremely heavy!
DasLandRoverMan wrote:
As an aside, the 4.236 adapter kit also allows a 6.354 along with both 4 and 6 cylinder Phaser engines to be fitted onto a V8 Land Rover box.

Mine is a Perkins Phaser 4-cylinder turbo. A nominally metric engine but made with exactly the same fixing points as the 4.236 so that it would be a drop-in replacement; but all these fixings were tapped UNF!
DasLandRoverMan wrote:
Worth checking the intermediate shaft thrust washers and bearings in the transfer box whilst it's all apart too.

A job that is very much easier to do if the box is standing on the bell housing and the intermediate shaft is vertical. The instruction manual talking about a dummy shaft then makes sense, because things don't drop out onto your face when you remove the dummy shaft.

Roger.