101 club

101 Forward Control Club and Register Forums
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:51 am 
101-derful!

Mem No: 2245
Member until: Expired

C-one - Please click here to renew your club membership!
East (Alps)to west(Brittany),then about halfway down the coast and back East again..
The old girl(though my 5yr old recently said it's a boy called Max...that spooked us!) got better by the day,had some overheating and possible jamming brakedrum on the front-right to begin with,I think the bearings and possibley the bushings (going by sound here) are on their way out,she handled well enough though,sudden camber changes or suction from artics whizzing by being the most adverse,fuel economy was decent as long as I kept her under 70kph,she's under powered though(can't climb for $*£%)..

Here's some photos,click on slideshow..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v409/ ... mer%20101/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:38 pm 

Mem No: 1115
Member until: Aug 2018
the truck looks real high
how much does it weight?
and does it hang over alot when you take a corner?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:36 am 
101-derful!

The vehicle is 3.30m (10.8ft) high,which complicates matters at filling stations.carparks headwinds etc
I don't know it's current weight,though I'd like to find out as I'm a bit worried in case it's over 3'500kg.
Overall she drives well,I noticed there are huge bumpstops underneath with very little play it seems,so there's not as much yaw/lean as expected,I'd love to compare this to a standard vehicle because it must reduce articulation...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:31 am 
Club Secretary

Mem No: 2029
Member until: Aug 2018
Looks like you had some fun, and I recognise some of those locations. Especially that village, been there a few times now, looks like it gets more visitors now, all very surreal.

56 FL 65 - Lightweight FFR 24v
55 KL 83 - Harley Davidson MT350
Unknown - Can Am Bombardier 250

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:36 am 
101-derful!

Mem No: 2143

sgt_raffie - Please click here to renew your club membership!
Is this the one that was for sale on ebay about a year/2 years ago?
What height is is inside?
Is the box made out of fibreglass or is it an add-on onto existing ali structure?
Also is the engine/drivetrain modified in any way or is it stock?

Sorry for barrage of questions but I was interested in it when it was for sale but gave up due to not liking the looks. Now You re-painted it (I belive it was very dirty when being sold) it looks a lot better but still a bit out of proportions for me.

All the best
Raf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:10 pm 
101-derful!

@ Brian,yes it's very surreal..

@ Raf
The box is sctratch built entirely in ali by pro coachbuilders,even the framework,I'm 6'2" and have about 6" of head clearance,
I would love to chop about a foot off the top,if I find a kit/system for a pulldown bed up front and discover why they made the structural framework under the floor about 10" thick :shock: it's on the cards...

The wheelbase is 2' longer (+ another 2' aft of the axle)with lengthened driveshaft,which has elimanated rumble on the overun that some of you guys get,I'd imagine the longer wheelbase adds to straightline stability...

The engine is a Nissan SD33T,101bhp @ 3100 RPM and torque 175lb/ft @ 2200 RPM,I'm researching intercoolers and upping the boost etc(currently 6.5psi),I've heard good things on this front,10-15% more power would do me I reckon,...if there's any LR TDV6s going for free I would'nt say no though! :lol:

She aint been repainted ,just scrubbed!the pain is coming off daily so a re-do is on the cards too!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:03 pm 
101-derful!

Mem No: 2143

sgt_raffie - Please click here to renew your club membership!
C-one wrote:

@ Raf
The box is sctratch built entirely in ali by pro coachbuilders,even the framework,I'm 6'2" and have about 6" of head clearance,
I would love to chop about a foot off the top,if I find a kit/system for a pulldown bed up front and discover why they made the structural framework under the floor about 10" thick :shock: it's on the cards...

Will have to convert this to cms but sounds impressive. I`m currently researching roof extension and want to decide on the height. I want a spare bed above the cab and room for standing wet-room in the entrance. As to the pulldown bed talk to Roger. His front bed is quite ingenious..

C-one wrote:
The wheelbase is 2' longer (+ another 2' aft of the axle)with lengthened driveshaft,which has elimanated rumble on the overun that some of you guys get,I'd imagine the longer wheelbase adds to straightline stability...

That would indeed add to stability. Thanks for claryfing this as it seemed a bit high. How do You find crosswinds? I used my stock ambi in lake district for a while and sometimes on shap summit i was having "brown" moment due to winds.
C-one wrote:
The engine is a Nissan SD33T,101bhp @ 3100 RPM and torque 175lb/ft @ 2200 RPM,I'm researching intercoolers and upping the boost etc(currently 6.5psi),I've heard good things on this front,10-15% more power would do me I reckon,...if there's any LR TDV6s going for free I would'nt say no though! :lol:

Keep the nissan powerplant. SD33 is one of the best old diesels You can get. I`m a patrol man myself and I did consider a td42 swap for the 101 but ended up having a 300tdi fitted by Jon. SD33 will go on forever, will also respond to upping the boost quite well but do watch EGT-s). How is the gearbox coping with torque? I had a worrying thought about the box chewing itself when I considered the nissan diesel.

C-one wrote:
She aint been repainted ,just scrubbed!the pain is coming off daily so a re-do is on the cards too!

Looks much better than when it was on ebay.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:20 pm 
101-derful!

The interior heighth is exactly 2m1.5cm :) ,..as for the pull down bed,I went into a camper showroom and checked out as many as I could (I think I was close to being thrown out!) ,one bed used the scissors/concertina method,another used pistons,I was thinking some sort of threaded bar could be an option,or pivot on an arm type thing too,as long as it's secure both up (would hate for it to drop on my head while driving!)AND down (no loss of little fingers!) and does'nt add too much weight,I'll be happy..

EG-Ts ,I've just started studying up on this,there is varied opinions on what is exceptable,I just want to stay within a safe range,I do really like this engine,it seems to improve the more I use it,and apart from the slight deisel clack,it does have a nice 6 cylinder burble to the sound,she starts so quick it makes me jump sometimes and there's zero visible smoke from the exhaust.

I'm not really mechnically knowledgable enough yet to give a proper opinion on how the gearbox is doing I'm afraid,she hops out of first if the gearstick is not bedded just right,no other issues so far..

Crosswinds only scare me if it's sudden gust,there was a constant onshore wind when we follow the coast own South,I just leaned the steering wheel into it so to speak,I did'nt really notice this untill we had to go back a bit after taking a wrong turn :oops: :P

I did have at least one scare per day though,the worst by far being a Parisian truckdriver forcing us completly off the road...I think he had about five coffees too many..that mad me a little angry let's say :evil: