101 club

101 Forward Control Club and Register Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:02 pm 
101-derful!

Mem No: 2360
Member until: Expired

mountainnomad - Please click here to renew your club membership!
I have cleared this post with the club prior to posting.

On Monday 2nd September 2013 we will be setting off on a charity challenge drive across Europe and into Asia. The Aim is to drive the complete length of the longest “route” in Europe, the E40. The road starts in Calais, France and ends in Ridder, North East Kazakhstan and runs for a total of approximately 7610 kms (4600m). The initial idea is to complete the trip in 2 – 3 weeks (15 days is the current estimate!!). Border crossings will be the biggest factor on time. This isn’t a speed challenge in any way and each days driving will hopefully not exceed an average of approximately 500 kms each day. The challenge isn’t to get there as soon as possible, more to get a team of vehicles there together.

The route crosses loads of borders and the following is a list of the countries on the route:
France: Belgium: Germany: Poland: Ukraine: Russia: Kazakhstan: Uzbekistan: Turkmenistan: Uzbekistan: Kazakhstan: Kyrgyzstan: Kazakhstan, some of which we enter more than once.

We are hoping to raise as much money as possible in aid of the Teenage Cancer Trust through individual sponsorship and through sponsorship from businesses.

The point of this post is to try to find volunteers who are interested in raising money for charity and are up for a challenge. Although this won’t be the hardest of challenges it won’t be “easy”. Our idea is to take (hopefully) 6 x 101s, if we can find interested parties.

Although cost is a major factor, especially if you have a V8, at UK prices the outward journey would cost approx. £1925. We are hoping to raise sponsorship to cover fuel costs but this may not be possible and volunteers should be able to cover their own fuel and expenses.

As well as looking for volunteers to drive the route we are also hoping to find a few volunteers to help with admin (such as managing a website and blog as well as facebook and the like).

We are in the very early stages of organising this point and are really just looking for interest, not a firm commitment at this point, we would just like to know how much interest there would be within the club and forum. Please PM or email me if you would like to know anything else about the trip or volunteer. Also please let us know anything that you may know about the route that may affect the challenge.

I know a lot more information will be required and that will be posted as and when available. Thanks very much, and a happy new year. Bryan

I have edited this to show the correct fuel costs :oops:

Last edited by mountainnomad on Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:14 pm 
Club Chair

Mem No: 1893
Member until: Aug 2018
One consideration thats come to mind is the "military vehicles" crossing borders, so im guessing they will have to be camper looking which will rule out a lot of club owned vehicles.... :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:29 pm 
101-derful!

Yes I had also thought of that, I think that standard vehicle should be ok as long as they have a non military paint job and no fake weapons :oops: although I understand that an original ambulance may look a bit unusual at borders when the rear doors are opened :!: Other types may be ok if radio equipment etc was removed for the trip. I think it really is up to owners and how much they would be happy to alter on their vehicles for the challenge.

If military looking vehicle owners still wish to take part I am sure there will be room for passengers. Please don't think that if you have an original that you are not welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:35 pm 
Club Chair

Mem No: 1893
Has anything like this been done before? With any other type of vehicle?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:46 pm 
101-derful!

As a charity or other challenge? Not that I could find. There are quite a lot of people who have done parts of the route during the Mongolia rallies and as part of individual overlanding trips. This is where I have obtained a lot of route information from. I am waiting to for my daughter to bring over the new guiness record book as I couldn't find it on their online website. I thought that may be a good place to look as well.

Also travelling the complete length of the E40 is not the shortest or quickest way to go if you wish to drive East to Asia. The more direct route would be a good 2000 kms shorter.

The wiki site has a page on the E40 if anyone would like to look at the route in a little detail, but I don't know how reliable that information is.

I have personally travelled up and down the "European" bit of the E40 on many occasions, but this will be the "easy" bit.

If anyone is aware of anyone who has driven/ridden the complete length (or parts of it!) please let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:20 pm 
Club Events

Mem No: 2132
This has certainly got me interested. I have done a few calculations regarding the fuel costs at current UK prices.

Distance 5000 miles
Fuel (Lets say) £1.30/L bit optimistic
MPG 14 max realistic 10.
Total gals 500 converted to litres is 2275
Budgeted fuel cost outbound is £2957 (£3000)

Unless I have made a serious error this is a little more than the £1100 in your estimate. This now equates to £6K return less everything else. So to save any shocks the budget would be in excess of £8K

I would really hope to be wrong as this really appeals to me at £1100 each way plus everything else, but £6k on fuel hmmm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:58 pm 
101-derful!

Well Spotted that man :oops: How I balls that up I don't know, I only had to copy a cell from a spreadsheet!

However my calculations aren't as high as yours but I think that is due to rounding up and underestimating.

My Calculations: Total route length is 7610 KM, that is 4566m. At 14 mpg, 174 Gals therefore 789.96 @ £1.30 ltr equals £1924.90.

My initial figure was wrong, I will edit the post. SORRY :oops:

Your estimate of 10 mpg would be too low. The E40 is motorway all the way to the Ukraine border. From the information that I have managed to obtain so far apparently the road beyond there is tarmac until at least Astrakhan ( I have yet to confirm this leg from Ukraine), Astrakhan is 3550kms from the start point so does make quite a difference to the total costs.

I hope the maths is right this time.

I am, however going to be working really hard to try and get some sponsorship for the fuel and this will make a massive difference to costs, I can't start trying for this until I know more about how many vehicles I can get. The upshot is (I think! and Hope) is that a budget of £2000 each way would be the upper most. Costs of fuel (to the best of my knowledge at the moment) in Ukraine is half ours (approx 76p a litre), but a lot can change in 18 months.

Sorry for any confusion and I hope I have convinced you to come along :) :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:36 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 1455

jon goalen - Please click here to renew your club membership!
Hi Bryan,
I am having serious trouble with my calculator!!!
4566m / 14mpg = 326.14 gallons is it not?
326.14 x 4.54 = 1480.68 litres
1480.68 x £1.30 = £1924.90
Are now it looks ok as the final answer is the same as yours!!!
And now for Diesel :lol: :lol: :lol:
4566m / 4.85mpg = 941.44 litres
941.44 x £1.30 = £1223.87
Although I would expect the cost of diesel to average out to about £0.90 / litre
so it would only cost £847 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: all the way to Kazakhstan!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:16 pm 
Club Events

Mem No: 2132
You are right Jon diesel is the right way to go. Also when budgeting always go up (over estimate). The other point is, the distance is from Calais, so the distance to Dover ferry has to be added in. In my case 275 miles so

4566 + 275 = 4841 round up for taking a wrong turn etc 4900. whats 100 miles between friends 5000 miles which actually is the figure quoted on the internet, so actually under budgeting. I think 14 mpg is a bit optimistic. I'll average it to 12 mpg and anything above will be a bonus. I'll keep fuel at £1.30/l

Fuel required 416.7 (417)gals = 1897 L = £ 2466 Which makes a nice round figure of £ 2.5K for petrol

or £1.52K diesel at 18mpg and £1.20/l

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:00 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 312

offroadstevie_uk - Please click here to renew your club membership!
I reckon whoever took part in the trip, would qualify as a charity case at the end of it. :lol:

So on those grounds...I'm out.

64 FL 75 'Ex-Dredd' RHD GS- 'Doc' Ambi-2010 on
101-Mechanicals. Independent LR Trained Mechanic for UK & Europe.www.facebook.com/101mechanicals

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:56 pm 
101-derful!

Whilst I admit I got the figures wrong in the first place, I do agree it is certainly worth overestimating. I think the figures you have both worked out are entirely realistic, although none of us has it exactly the same :)

I have make the point though that we are only discussing an approximate budget and I think that all of the figures above are more than we would actually spend on fuel. The problem with an event such as this, or any overland trip is that we all tend do work out from the current fuel price, we have to. If I had posted this 9 months ago the figures would have been lower. If I ask the same in 9 months the figure would go up, unless there is a revolution in the UK and they drop the price of fuel suddenly!

What I am trying to say is please try not to get too hung up on possible permutations for the fuel budget. The important thing is that whatever your own personal calculations, you can afford it and think it is a worthwhile cause as well as a great experience.

I know we all have different circumstances and Sept 2013 is a long way away, my own view point is that if the fuel does work out around the budget above then I have to compare that against what we would spend on our overland trip for 2013 if we weren't to do this trip and then weight it up against the support we raise for the teenage cancer trust. And then account for it being a great experience. :?

I will be trying really hard to get sponsorship to cover as many expenses as I can but, as I have already said, I can't go forward until I know others will be interested.

Sorry to ramble on but, 2 last points. Its not about what we may spend (to a degree obviously) but what we raise for the charity. And secondly its what we achieve for ourselves, its not what you do in life that you regret but what you don't!

On top of all that if we get this up and running, what an advert for the club.

Steve, can I count you in if we get fuel sponsorship :D Might have to paint Matron though :twisted: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:07 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 312

offroadstevie_uk - Please click here to renew your club membership!
I'd like to think that the other one would be up and running by then.
I'm hoping to get it done by winter 2012

64 FL 75 'Ex-Dredd' RHD GS- 'Doc' Ambi-2010 on
101-Mechanicals. Independent LR Trained Mechanic for UK & Europe.www.facebook.com/101mechanicals

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:37 pm 
101-derful!

I count you in then :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:44 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 2270
Have I missed something, How to you plan to get back? same route, same cost? (only scan rad the posts, don't shoot me if there is an answer in there somewhere) If you are driving back will you need to replace tyres after all this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:20 am 
101-derful!

No you didn't miss something :D

Return leg is up to the individual. The distance on the return would be much shorter if that was people's choice (approx 2000km shorter on the direct route). I can't get sponsorship for that part of the journey as the challenge would have been completed (hopefully :) )so that would be up to the individual to fund.

On the tyre question, it really depends on tyre type and tread to start with. I was going to try to obtain sponsorship for tyres from the appropriate places, considering the restricted market for the 101 tyres I think it would be good advertising for any supplier.

This is all part of the reason for trying to organise this from within the club. I think we stand more of a chance of decent sponsorship if this challenge is done as a club rather than as individuals. I would like all the vehicles and owners to be club members, hence posting here, it also an opportunity to advertise the club through other mediums.

If I can find out the situation with world records I will be trying to go down that route. Guiness probably won't touch it because it will most likely be seen as a "speed" challenge, there appears to be a way round that at 1st glance. But I have yet to investigate that further.

Early days, much work to do 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:25 pm 
101-derful!

A little more information regarding fuel and mileages. I have done some more research today regarding the cost of fuel in each country and the mileage through each individual country.

As a result the mileage is currently standing at a total of 5130, however this is yet to be confirmed so work on it being correct as it is higher than the original estimate. There is also a little confusion over the exact route of the E40 around the Turkmenistan area.

The UNECE, who are in charge of these things say the route travels into Turkmenistan and out again at Dasshaus. People who have travelled that part of the route say it doesn't, so again, yet to confirm this. The UNECE map from their website is dated 2007 and things may have moved on the ground and the map updated but not put up on their website.

I have also found some prices for fuel in the countries the route travels through and they are listed below. They are 6 months out of date but are the best I can do in a day, and please bear in mind the journey won't be until 2013. I have also included the rough mileages for each country (they aren't exact from border to border but from the nearest towns) so you can do some maths of your own to work out what you think the costs for fuel will be.

Miles £ per L
France/Belgium 206 1.27
Germany 447 1.22
Poland 403 1.00
Ukraine 861 0.65
Russia 522 0.54
Kazakhstan 531 0.45
Uzbekistan 304 0.59
Turkmenistan 641 0.14
Kazakhstan 354 0.59
Kyrgyzstan 142 0.45
Kazakhstan 714 0.54

I hope this is of use when trying to decide if you can take part.

Hope that lot all makes sense :D But knowing me it won't :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:08 am 

Mem No: 2367

DESANDPAUL - Please click here to renew your club membership!
For those interested, I have a quantity of FE11 powerpill fuel-pills, which I currently use both in my car and in the 101. They cut down on the ommissions by an average of 70%, but increase the fuel savings between 10-14%, and can be used both in UL and Diesel. Am currently doing a survey of my own 101 fuel usage, and will post the results. This is a fuel supplement, NOT and additive, so there are no potential problems on the horizon! I have been using this in my Honda Civic for the past 4 years, so they do indeed work as advertised. I currently own a LHD 101 FC 12v FC, and doing trials with it now. This could potentially save quite a bit of money on the fuel costs!

email: stanbrook.paul@yahoo.co.uk
http://www.paulsbvdauctions.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:32 pm 

Mem No: 2367

DESANDPAUL - Please click here to renew your club membership!
Am pretty sure that if we repaint the 101's in a neutral colour and plaster sides with sponsors adverts, it will present no problems at borders.
For instance, I work at Shell in London, and I would obviously be approaching them for fuel sponsorship if I were going on the trip. Would be
a case of a quick paint job to reflect the Shell Logo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:24 pm 

Mem No: 2437

Shadowsquid - Please click here to renew your club membership!
Hi,

I have a 101 which has already done the Original West to East Journey and I might by Sep 2013 be up for the challenge.

Keep me up-dated.

Many thanks
David

76 FL 66 Truck GS "Tail End Charlie"
1976 24V Silver GS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:47 pm 
101 Addict!

Bed Bug is not a club member.

Click here to join the 101 club

Or click here if you are already a member

Bed Bug - Please click here to renew your club membership!
I'd like to take part.

Is there any update on how its all going?

Steve