101 club

101 Forward Control Club and Register Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:21 pm 
101-derful!

Mem No: 2360
Member until: Expired

mountainnomad - Please click here to renew your club membership!
Hi all, we have had a change of plans for next years trip, we were going to Norway but Iceland is calling :D

We have done a little research for the trip and No5 is well on the way to being converted in time. I know that there is a few of you that have been to Iceland in your 101s and we would welcome any advice anyone has to offer.

We have sorted ferries, Smyril Line seem to have it all sown up now :shock: .

I have read on the web that there is a tourist temporary import tax for driving there but I can't find any confirmation, has anyone come across this?

Any advice gratefully received :D

Thanks Bryan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:04 am 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 1098
Member until: Aug 2018
mountainnomad wrote:

I have read on the web that there is a tourist temporary import tax for driving there but I can't find any confirmation, has anyone come across this?

Any advice gratefully received :D

Thanks Bryan

Are you thinking of the diesel tax here? That was the only tax we paid. The tax on diesel is (or maybe was by now) far less than petrol. Purchase tax on diesel cars is therefore higher. Visitors therefore in diesel vehicles have to pay a temporary tax on entering the country although this is offset by the cheap cost of diesel.
This may be no more now though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:21 pm 
Club Data Controller

Mem No: 1201
fairly sure that was abolished a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:10 am 
101-derful!

I am not 100% sure what the tax was :? It was called a tourist temporary import tax, I will have to google and see if I can find the website again. I was already aware of the diesel fuel tax but there was no mention of it being for diesel vehicles on the page I read. I do know that it was a huge amount of money being quoted, in the thousands :!: :!: I think I will ring the tourist people and get a definate answer from there.

The diesel tax won't affect us, we have a proper engine :lol:

We are planning on doing a full circuit on the main route, (I think it's called route no1) and plan on branching inland at various points on the mountain tracks where we can. I have read on the iceland tourist info site that off road driving is illegal, so do I take that the videos I have seen on viewtube of 101s crossing rivers were on mountain tracks?

If anyone has any suggestions of things we must do while there please let us know, all we have planned so far is to try a ride some Icelandic horses!

We are also travelling via the Faroes on the way out so if anyone has tips for there :?:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:53 am 
101-derful!

Mem No: 1816

Egill 101 - Please click here to renew your club membership!
Hi Bryan,

bringing my car to Iceland since around 20 years each summer I can tell you there is no temp. imp. Tax on Tourist vehicles.

Like the others wrote it was a Diesel tax but this is also history.

The daily fuel prices are online -> N1

Today 1 GBP = 184.23 ISK

"OFF ROAD" driving is stick forbidden and you will be charged a lot if the police get informed about that.

But. . . . offroad driving is not driving on the main highland tracks and roads without tarmac.

The normal tourist is not tempted to drive offraod cause he is more than busy to drive all the legal jeep tracks.

All marked tracks/roads on the map are legal and you are able to do that with your 101.

The condition of the rivers depends on the weather and the meltdown of the glaciers.

Take care drive slow and you will have one of your best holidays ever.

Cheers Alex

PS: some impressions from 2011

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:41 am 
101-derful!

Thanks very much for clearing that up Alex :D

I am glad there is no tax. The ferry crossing is expensive enough :shock:

Your photos are fantastic, I really just want to cross 1 river for the experience and the photos, looking forward to it even more now. Your 101 looks great, I think I have seen the photo of the build before, the colour makes the photos even better :) . I think we will have to have access to that website whilst we are travelling, although we are going in June and July. It looks very helpful.

I am confused though, why would anyone who lives in Bavaria go on Holiday :lol:

Thanks Bryan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:42 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 324
If you don't have the back issue CD-Rom of SixStud, buy a copy. You will find four successive issues where I describe the trip I made with Rich, Graeme and Fresca with 3 101s in 2004, complete with lots of photos. (Being Editor at the time meant I could choose lots of my own pictures for the magazine!)

Roger.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:13 pm 
101-derful!

Thanks for letting me know that the articles existed, I will be interested to read them. I will order the CD once I figure out the best way to pay :lol: (Q Pete :D ).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:19 pm 
101-derful!

And in the description of the trip you will find some sentences about a german couple that met the group.
These peolpe in a red RHD Oneten introduced the 101 guys to some nice places and told them something about the country.
Guess who it was? ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:35 pm 
101-derful!

Not that fella from Bavaria :lol: He gets about a bit, don't understand it myself :? Who lives in Bavaria and goes on Holiday :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:11 am 
101 Addict!

RogerH-C wrote:
If you don't have the back issue CD-Rom of SixStud, buy a copy. You will find four successive issues where I describe the trip I made with Rich, Graeme and Fresca with 3 101s in 2004, complete with lots of photos. (Being Editor at the time meant I could choose lots of my own pictures for the magazine!)

Roger.

Reckon we should go with him then Roger??

Sure I remember Egil. We were sitting peacefully at the campsite at I think Husavik when a 110 screeched to a halt on the main road outside and some crazy Germans came running in jabbering about 101s!!!

Theres hundreds of pics of our trip here
http://www.101fc.net/iceland-2004/index.htm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:08 am 
101-derful!

Graeme wrote:
Sure I remember Egil. We were sitting peacefully at the campsite at I think Husavik when a 110 screeched to a halt on the main road outside and some crazy Germans came running in jabbering about 101s!!!

100% true Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:29 am 
101 Addict!

mountainnomad wrote:
The diesel tax won't affect us, we have a proper engine :lol:

If you want to explore some of the more remote parts, you will need more fuel than just a standard tank, if you are running a V8 petrol. The F910 is, for example, almost 300km between fuel stops, which with a V8 not doing more than about 8mpg in that terrain (2.8km/litre), is stretching a 110 litre tank somewhat!

Roger.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:30 am 
101 Addict!

Plus can't say I'd be keen on crossing some of the rivers in a petrol.

So in his own words he needs a proper engine after all!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:35 am 
101-derful!

Thanks for all your replies, A quick update. The ferries are booked. Straight through on the way out, Faroes on the return. We will be getting 3 whole weeks in Iceland now :D

We are running a V8,(Is there another option :!: :lol: ) but when he returns from Jon we will be able to carry 120 ltr in cans slung under as well as the standard tank. As for river crossing in a V8, I am not overly worried, raised air intake and extended breathers are on the list of things to do, as well as waterproofing the distributor etc. Having said that the rivers would have to be deep to struggle, standard 101 has a wading depth of 500mm, don't think I would want to cross a river too much deeper than that anyway!but does depend on the flow as well. Technique is as important anyway and I have crossed a few in other Landrover V8s with no problems, but ppppppp! as they say.

The sixstud DVD is in hand and I am looking forward to reading it. If anyone else has any advice then that would be great, particularly on where to go and any equipment that you missed or took with you.

Our plan so far is to go right the way round and then go inland as and when we think we should. We won't have a fixed schedule but do always have a pencil timetable so we get to see as much as possible. We have ordered our guide books but if anyone can recommend some good maps?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:31 pm 
101-derful!

Mem No: 2245

C-one - Please click here to renew your club membership!
I got a quote of € 2.803 in high season!!too rich for my blood..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:43 pm 
101-derful!

Yes the ferry is very expensive, nearly paid the amount you were quoted but not quite :) booked it through the Faroes office, don't know if that made a difference but they were very helpful.

We think it will be worth every penny. Only get one go at this and there is much to see. No point in waiting until we are old :lol:
Make every day count, because you don't know how many you are getting, and we only go to places once if we can help it (wish I could include Dover in that statement - hardest part of any trip is from here to Dover :? ).

It's what you don't do i life that you regret :!:

Sorry :( having a philosophical day today, sometimes things happen in life that make you realise whats important and whats not.

On the up side it will be less than our fuel bill :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:58 pm 
101-derful!

Mem No: 2245

C-one - Please click here to renew your club membership!
Oh,I agree,it's just a bit of a shock :shock: ,I will do it, ..one day. :)
Best of luck!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:50 pm 
101 Addict!

mountainnomad wrote:
...If anyone else has any advice then that would be great, particularly on where to go and any equipment that you missed or took with you.

See my articles in SixStud -- in there is a list of what we took, plus a list of what we used!
mountainnomad wrote:
We have ordered our guide books but if anyone can recommend some good maps?

For maps get at least the set of three 1:250000 National Land Survey of Iceland maps. I bought mine from http://www.mapsworldwide.co.uk

Roger.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:12 pm 
101-derful!

Well the map, guide book and the cd of back issue sixstud have all arrived. Getting very excited now. The articles in the sixstud back copies are outstanding. Now I need to go through them properly to map out your route and plan ours, general idea at the moment is to travel around the country in a large figure 8. We haven't planned the full route and it will be fairly flexible. So far we know we want to go to see the Puffins and ride Icelandic horses so lots more room for stuff, we are getting 3 weeks in country so if any one has any recommendations of things not to miss let us know :). Looks very much like we will be having a new fuel tank as well now so plenty of fuel, that solves 1 problem, just need to sort out a camper now :lol: