101 club

101 Forward Control Club and Register Forums
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:24 am 
101-derful!

Mem No: 1786
Member until: Expired

Paul Portland OR USA - Please click here to renew your club membership!
UPDATES on a ONE DAY or MULTI DAY camping the Weekend of June 23, 24, 25 of June 2017 at The Southern Side of Mt St Helens Washington, USA

Two 101's Confirmed already!!!!!

Mountain Biking, Fly Fishing, Birdwatching, Ham Radios,
Non damaging/ ecologically responsible jdrives in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, and more!!!

I wanted to Update 101 friends that I will be holding a family friendly camp-out weekend on the Southern side of Mt St Helens in the vicinity of the Ape Caves, Lewis River, several small water falls , Swift Reservoir and a number of other fun opportunities.

All you need to do is decide if you want to stay a single day or two/ three
and book camp sites at the Eagle Cliff campgrounds East of Cougar and South of Mt St Helens. The camp is close to Swift Reservoir and it is on the edge of the Lewis River.

I have even booked a few campsites as a back up for anyone who can't decide until the last minute if they can go. It's a fairly cheap campground at $15, and the couple who own it now have been working hard the last few years to really make many improvements.

Shoot me an RSVP if you are making it for sure so I can get a rough number of folks, and what activities you are most interest in.

Their web Site at the camp ground is :

www.eaglecliffcamp.com

You simply go to the tabs on the left and select the "Map/ Availability"
And you can book for each night you are joining us.

Feel free to stay several nights or just one.

I will be going up Thursday night to make sure everything is all set up for the gathering.

There are several basic campsites still available at $15 a night. It looks like the first few people booking grabbed sites in the back area around camps 10, 11, 12 etc. Please book early as this is so close to Mt St Helens it is likely to book up soon. There are cabins at this nice location , but they book up often in January. There are a few cabins available if you go up early, but the weekend has all the cabins booked.

We are planning to have some of the following activities organized for the event:

1) Non damaging rides into the forest just to get a feel for the basic abilities of different camping rigs and to give folks who are new to off-roading a chance to have fun learning their trucks.

2) A wonderful Mountain Bike ride, at individual paces, on Mt St Helens along the Plains of Abraham

For a picture of that fun look here:
https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/451373 ... of-abraham

3) Some fly fishing lessons and fun along the Lewis River. Please make to obtain a required Fishing license and its BYOG Bring your own Gear. We will try to have an extra set up or two for folks who want to buy a day license and just learn.

3) You can use the one canoe we have parked on the Swift Reservoir dock or you can bring your own kayak or canoe. You can also pay Pacific Power and bring up a bigger boat and drop it in the Reservoir.

Information on the boat launch into the Swift Reservoir through Pacific Corp is here:

http://www.pacificorp.com/about/or/washington/sfc.html

4) Ham Radio fun trying to make long distance contacts, also know as DX-ing. We will have an antenna set up and a station in a rig.

One goal of the trip is to hope to attract some of the folks in the club in Washington and get a good mix of folks from all of our club's regions.

I will provide more details in the coming weeks, but wanted to help you to get it on your calendars and get camping spots locked up as soon as possible to make sure we do not lose the opportunity before the camp sites are all booked up.

If the camp ground gets booked up , we will have some limited additional options to offer near by.

Contact me with any questions you might have. If you are traveling far and want to get there a day early, you are welcome to camp with me at my nearby rustic cabin.

Thanks,
Paul in Oregon