101 club

101 Forward Control Club and Register Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:56 pm 
101 lunatic!

Mem No: 1958
Member until: Expired

HybridMark - Please click here to renew your club membership!
I'm all for LSD, whoops wrong forum. :oops: :oops: :oops:

http://www.southcavetractors.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:02 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 2263

morph - Please click here to renew your club membership!
:lol:
im more of a forager myself :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:56 am 

ZeiZei is not a club member.

Click here to join the 101 club

Or click here if you are already a member
davebevan wrote:
Horace1664 wrote:
But if you were to lift a wheel, on a steep decent for example, you would go into virtual free-fall!
James

Surely that's the point of a limited slip diff - it'll lock up when it needs to!

Limited slip diff is locked normally, but when one axle is getting too much traction, its slipping and allowing other axle to spin more than the other.
Visco Differential on the otherhand is working opposite way, locking it self when tire slip is present (Visco oil warming and stiffening = locking the diff)
This LT95 LS diff is pritty stiff, spessially when used with 80-90w gearbox oil (whitout LSD addetive, shud use LSD-oil in transferbox if this diff is placed in.

I have one in my RR-79 (with -72 LT95) and if I turn in asphalt parkinglot with little bit dust on it, it will slip one off the tires (differential lockkers not on) (tires are 35x15,5x15 baja Claws)

Sorry, my first post, and bad english. Just googleing this limited slip diff, cos i think mine is gone broken, only spinning front tires and moving like automat gearbox(slipping in lowgear) . Is it possible that this diff is broken so, that power is going only front axle trough slipping rings, not normal differential?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:21 am 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 1967
Member until: Aug 2017
I think only a few lt95 boxes had this diff, sounds like your centre diff has broken and maybe your clutch is slipping as well, 35's are big for a rangie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:12 pm 

Mem No: 1105

davidcull101 - Please click here to renew your club membership!
I would think from the discription you give that the diff in the rear axle has broken, the centre LSD diff is doing it's best to send the power to the front, but it will still slip. What happens if you engage the centre diff? does the slipping go away?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:11 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 1794
I thought a standard 'viscous' and 'limited slip' diffs were basically the same thing. Both normally 'unlocked' allowing a degree of differential movement for steering etc but when too much shear was introduced the diff locks up so preventing excessive wheel spin on an unloaded drive member? If the lt95 'limited slip' was locked up all the time, in good grip conditions I'd imagine parts of the drive train would go bang or tyres would scrub out regularly ... exactly what happens if a Borg Warner coupling siezes ...

AndyG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:09 pm 

zen is not a club member.

old thread i know..but there is a rr lsd on ebay at the moment..avoid like the plague

i have dumped 2 ..they are only good as door stops

the reason lr stopped using is cos they crack the cage..they are crap.

dunsfold have 2..they cant sell them..

they cannot be repaired,not unless you have machine shop..

oh..by the way..found this forum by mistake while looking for lt95 serial number info ..i have suffix a rrc.s...hunting parts..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:38 pm 

jimmy62alan is not a club member.

Has anyone used the LT95 gearbox before and what are they like for towing power, I got mine a far while ago for my project Land Rover but I have not got it fitted as yet. I would be very interested in any details people can share about the LT95's strengths and weaknesses.
Cheers ALAN
Sheffield S25

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 pm 

Mem No: 2754
No gearbox issues towing a 20 foot boat around - mostly on surfaced roads and the total weight probably wasn't that great. Recovering a Mercedes that had fried its clutch trying to haul its boat and trailer up posed no problem at all (I guess it was around a fifteen degree slope which had defeated the Mercedes - when I showed up and towed the whole lot up with no revving, no spinning and no smoking clutch everyone was laughing with amazement/relief). Recovering stuck vehicles off road hasn't caused any problems. If I recall correctly, reverse is said to be weaker than the forward gears - I've avoided recovering in reverse. Biggest problem with the 101 is that there aren't many trailers that hitch at the right height (drop plates always seem a bit suspect to me, but I use one), and, unless loaded or with more than suggested tongue weight (BUT too much tongue weight upsets tracking on most trailers), the rear suspension tends to be too hard/bouncy. Anyhow, in my limited experience, no gearbox issues towing.