101 Addict!

Mem No: 2270
Member until: Aug 2017
As it says on the tin... I seek one of these

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:54 pm 
Club Historian

Mem No: 6
Mike why do you require this, as your vehicle should already be fitted with the later increased weight 3652Kg chassis/VIN plate? These plates were only fitted to the pre-production and early vehicles that had 3106KG and 3143Kg max laden weight chassis/VIN plates.

Les.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:34 am 
101 Addict!

Because this shows an unequivocal higher trailer weight than the latter type plates that only recommend 2 tons.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:50 pm 
101 Addict!

DasLandRoverMan is not a club member.

Click here to join the 101 club

Or click here if you are already a member
It still only gives a trailer weight of 2272kg.
One with a max trailer weight of 3500kg would be much more useful.

Banned from OLLR for no apparent (or disclosed) reason.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:39 pm 
101 Addict!

DasLandRoverMan wrote:
It still only gives a trailer weight of 2272kg.
One with a max trailer weight of 3500kg would be much more useful.

Unfortunately there is nothing to indicate anywhere that the 101 was ever approved to work at more than the weight on the MVEE plate.

Since MVEE jointly designed the 101" working alongside the Rover team, the stated maximum on this plate is all that the 101 is supposed to pull. (after all this is a revision of previous lower limits and this is the most they are prepared to raise the earlier figure) The is the designers saying what trailer weight should not be exceeded. A trailer weight of 3500 is clearly beyond what the vehicle was designed to do.

This plate covers a fully loaded wide track that is all that I want it to do, but this plate says that is within design limits, rather than the airy fairy "recommended weight" mentioned on the Rover plate which means absolutely nothing.

This is as far as I am concerned the definitive designed maximum trailer weight for a 101" If I wanted to tow more I would have kept my Mighty Antar that had a designed maximum trailer weight of 70 Tons. and a max train weight of 146 tons
;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:49 pm 
Club Historian

Mem No: 6
When I queried the towing load rating many years ago I was led to believe, as the 101FC was a military vehicle and it is likely to be mainly used off road, the off road towing load rating was specified. However with Range Rovers, etc., that are mainly used on road, the towing load rating is specified as 3.5Kg and not the 1Kg off road rating.

Its also pretty obvious that the military trailers are also built mainly for for off road use with superior suspensions, shock absorbers and anti roll bars, that aren't found on the normal civilian trailers that are used mainly on roads.

Les.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:02 pm 
101 Addict!

Les Adams wrote:
When I queried the towing load rating many years ago I was led to believe, as the 101FC was a military vehicle and it is likely to be mainly used off road, the off road towing load rating was specified. However with Range Rovers, etc., that are mainly used on road, the towing load rating is specified as 3.5Kg and not the 1Kg off road rating.

Its also pretty obvious that the military trailers are also built mainly for for off road use with superior suspensions, shock absorbers and anti roll bars, that aren't found on the normal civilian trailers that are used mainly on roads.

Les.

The only trailers the military towed with the 101 all fall within the weight limit of the plate, Namely Sankeys, Rapier Fire Unit , Blindfire, 105 mm Light gun.

I have never seen a photo of a 101" in military service towing anything heavier than these. The weight plate covers all the trailers the military used on roads.

Whether on road, or off road, the maximum trailer weight of the MVEE was never exceeded AFAIK.

I would argue that the weight limit is specifically a Maximum that is not to be exceeded in any situation, but I could be wrong. The point is this plate says that any trailer I intend to pull is within a defined maximum.

I wanted a copy of the plate because the LR plate give only a recommendation, and when it come to arguing with vehicle inspectors, police or the courts, they want a definite figure, not an airy fairy means very little, "recommendation".

Has anyone got any photos of the military towing anything over 2 tons even on the road?

Last edited by antarmike on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:56 am 
101 Addict!

DasLandRoverMan is not a club member.

Click here to join the 101 club

Or click here if you are already a member
I can't claim to have any evidence of them towing anything other than what you've listed above.

However, practical experience -a GS towing an ambulance bodied example on a Brian James Flatbed- shows the 101 as an excellent towing platform that is quite comfortable pulling more weight, and actually better than a 110 or similar for the job.

Leaving out the legalities -it was many years ago now- it proved the vehicles worth as a towing platform to me.

Banned from OLLR for no apparent (or disclosed) reason.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:01 pm 
101 Addict!

DasLandRoverMan wrote:
I can't claim to have any evidence of them towing anything other than what you've listed above.

However, practical experience -a GS towing an ambulance bodied example on a Brian James Flatbed- shows the 101 as an excellent towing platform that is quite comfortable pulling more weight, and actually better than a 110 or similar for the job.

Leaving out the legalities -it was many years ago now- it proved the vehicles worth as a towing platform to me.

I am sure one is capable of towing above this weight, but you are, IMHO, on dodgy ground where you are towing more than the weight the Manufacturer has recommended. (2 Tons) and more than the weight the co-designers have deemed to be the maximum permissible trailer weight. (5010 lbs)

I am not saying a 101 can't tow more but should you ever get dragged into court, and were towing over 5010 lbs (2.236 tons) it would be very hard to come up with any sort of legal defence.

My point is I now have a definite trailer weight I can work to, and I can defend this on the basis that it is the maximum designed trailer weight.

Towing above this weight leaves you IMHO with no conceivable defence.