101 Forward Control Club and Register Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wheel spacers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:02 am 

Hobohobo is not a club member.

Click here to join the 101 club

Or click here if you are already a member
Hi .Has anyone got any 50mm wheel spacers for sale ?? I have unimog rims fitted with 335/80 r20 tyres and they catch on the leaf springs on full lock. Alternatively does anyone make them close to Basingstoke Hampshire ? . Thanks in advance Dan

Post subject: Re: Wheel spacers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:35 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 2270
Member until: Aug 2018
Reset to steering stop to stop the fouling? You can't expect to put on non standard wheels a tyres and keep the same steering lock as standard vehicle. The King pin (swivel pin) should be aiming at a point on the road that corresponds with a set distance across the tyre, as determined by the designer. Putting on wheel spacers will move this point on the tyre , at the road, well out from the point at which the axis of the king pins (swivel pins) meets the road.

This will greatly increase the chances, if you hit a bump, of ripping the steering wheel out of your hands. You really should try and maintain the point at which the King Pin (swivel pin) axis meeets the tyre at the road, as the same percentage of the tyre width as it was when new.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:42 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 1098
50mm is way to much. You need at most 30mm for Mog wheels. Even 10mm will do it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:16 pm 

Hobohobo is not a club member.

Click here to join the 101 club

Or click here if you are already a member
Hi thanks for the replies much appreciated. I will look at resetting the steering stop many years ago I remember having to do the same on a defender as on full lock the tyres caught the radius arms .however this was a matter of just winding out a couple of bolts . The wheels where on the 101 when I toook ownership but the tyres fitted at the time seemed to be more curved at the sides , it's the lugs on the xzl,s that catch when on hard full lock and when parking in a tight space. The drive seems a lot smoother with these tyres fitted . I need a spacer as it rubs the rubber boot on the steering ,I no some people say 10mm is enough but I was thinking if I go 50mm it will sort it for sure .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:02 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 1098
I have used 10mm (basically these were just old brake drums cut down) and purpose made 25mm spacers. These were with 10.5 x 20s, I guess your tyres are bigger? The guy I bought the 25mm spacers from (he had his wheels rewelded to change the offset - the other way to avoid the rub - so no longer needed them) had used them with 12.00 x 20s, which I guess is nearer your size, with no problems. Although he had the stronger Luxemburg Army upgraded steering box and had to remove wheelarches. And of course he had the turning circle of a paddle steamer!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:17 pm 
101 Addict!

Mem No: 2270
Graeme wrote:
I have used 10mm (basically these were just old brake drums cut down) and purpose made 25mm spacers. These were with 10.5 x 20s, I guess your tyres are bigger? The guy I bought the 25mm spacers from (he had his wheels rewelded to change the offset - the other way to avoid the rub - so no longer needed them) had used them with 12.00 x 20s, which I guess is nearer your size, with no problems. Although he had the stronger Luxemburg Army upgraded steering box and had to remove wheelarches. And of course he had the turning circle of a paddle steamer!

Turning circle of a paddle steamer depends on the type of paddle steamer

Rear paddle steamers, yes poor turning circle.... side wheelers where the wheels are independantly driven can almost turn on the spot, by running one wheel forward and the opposite wheel backwards....

But I get your point....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:05 pm 
101 lunatic!

Mem No: 723
I dont have any but you will also need a steering box as the tyres will but extra stress on your steering box and might break it - also the same for axle half shafts.!

Hobohobo wrote:
Hi .Has anyone got any 50mm wheel spacers for sale ?? I have unimog rims fitted with 335/80 r20 tyres and they catch on the leaf springs on full lock. Alternatively does anyone make them close to Basingstoke Hampshire ? . Thanks in advance Dan